Thursday, December 3, 2009

Hope Your Thanksgiving Was Great!



We had a fine Thanksgiving! We just spent it quietly at home and ate lots of food! :) I was amazed at how I could cook up a whole Turkey meal all by myself - hubby was proud! I was glad I had Turkey broth stored in the freezer for the gravy, and even had enough to make a fabulous soup using leftover Turkey and veggies. So, my dear friends, don't throw your Turkey bones away! After you get all the meat off, boil the bones in your large pot filled with water, and let it boil and boil and boil some more....keep adding water and boil it some more! :) When you feel you've boiled it enough, simply let it cool and pour your lovely broth into a ziplock bag and freeze. Pull it out when you want broth for any soup or dish that requires broth. Never buy that bland bleh broth from the store again - boil your chicken bones, beef bones, pork bones, etc....and if it gels - Great! that'll really give great flavor and healthy stuff to your family! :)
Now...you're ready for the fabulous Turkey soup! or Anything soup as my little sister has shown me - here goes! This is what I did....

Leftover Turkey Soup (or Anything you want it to be soup! :)
(original recipe from Sunset Quick Meals with Fresh Foods - great book!)

6 cups broth (turkey, in this case)
1/2 cup rice
3 carrots (or a bag of baby carrots)
3 stalks celery cut into 1/4 inch slices
Various veggies as you have on hand. Zucchini works great, but since I didn't have any, I put in some broccoli, a can of creamed corn, left over veggis, and how about potatoes? etc...etc....
6 tbsp butter
6 tbsp flour
1 pint half n half or milk (or in my case the rest of the whipping cream mixed with milk - yummo)
3 cups bite-size pieces cooked Turkey or chicken or, hey, clams! and some bacon - whoa!!! ;)
Green onions, including tops (optional)
salt and pepper

In your most convienient pot over high heat, bring broth to a boil. Add rice; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add carrots, celery, and other veggis; cover and simmer until veggies are tender-crisp (about 10 min more)
Meanwhile, in a small pan over medium heat, melt butter (be careful not to melt the butter too fast - if you have foam, skim it off - it causes a bitter taste). Stir in flour and cook, stirring until mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat and gradually stir in half and half; then stir in about 1 cup of the broth from soup mixture. Return to heat and cook, stirring, until sauce is smooth, thick, and boiling. Stir sauce into soup mixture. (oh, yum! :)
Stir in meat and green onions; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until heated through (about 1 minute more) Sprinkle with parsley if desired
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Uh...be sure to make a lot if you have a large family - you may not have enough to go around - it's that good!




Hope you like this soup! It's been a secret so far between my sister and I, but I think it's about time I shared it! Let me know how your soup turned out, and if you did some changes to make it better - it would be way cool to hear what you did! :)

Now, off to do some Christmas decorating! just a little a day, and hopefully I'll be able to get it done soon! I'll post some pics as soon as I'm able.

God bless you, dear friends!
Chrissie


1 Cor 15:57-58
'But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.'

No comments: