Sunday, May 27, 2007

Dyeing for the Living....

'How goes the dyeing for the living?' my sister-in-law quipped to Leah and I as we dipped our gloved hands in the colorful dyes. It was such fun! Here's Leah and all the paraphernalia that goes with dyeing. First we apply the colors in any way we wish.....

Then we let them sit for half an hour before applying potash to set the dye....

Then they all sit outside and let the lovely sunshine do it's wonders for at least 4 hours in my sil's beautiful front yard....

Then we rinse them all out, put them in the washer and dryer...

And, voila, here they are, finally all ironed out...

I was astounded that Leah would give me all these - I was just there to learn and have fun! Each yard is so different, giving the illusion of flowers and leaves, even butterflies!!

I'm telling you, it's rather fun to dye!! and very addictive, to be sure! Now, to find what project to use these lovely things in! God willing, my next post will have progress on my little nephew's quilt, and maybe I will use one of these fabrics - oooo-lala! What fun this is going to be!!!
Until we meet again, God Bless!!
Chrissie

No comments: