Monday, October 22, 2007

A Little Boost, Please!

Hi, Internets! I need a little help with this quilt I'm doing for my nephew. I have these large squares of fabric that I got from a friend, and I have only one more of them, so I can't make it any bigger - though I would love to put another row at the bottom. I may be able to make my own gingham square to kinda look a little like the others. If I do, what color? I'm at a loss.

This is what I started with, and I put green squares with trucks on the end at first, but the colors weren't quite as bold as the rest of the quilt theme, so I switched to the dark blue squares. I love the light yellow in the upper left corner, but perhaps I need to have another color or a darker yellow there. the only thing is I didn't want to conflict with the pinwheels on yellow in the middle. so I moved that block down as seen in the next photo.



I like the dark blue squares with the trucks, but it seems to make that end of the quilt heavy. Is the dark orange too dark? do I go for a lighter yellowy orange? a light blue, perhaps? I have one more gingham square that looks like the Red one, but it is black with a tractor in the middle. Perhaps I can exchange it with the orange one, but will it be out of place, or too strong in comparison to the rest of the quilt? I'm so happy that I can get it up and see it on the wall. I have been mulling over these issues all summer, and it's so difficult to lay them on the floor. My dogs always think it's time to play when I do that, so I never really get to see what I'm doing. Thankfully, I had a flannel sheet that I wasn't using, and it works so well! At last, I can get this project finished!



Here I moved the blue trucks down to the bottom to see if that balances it out. I was also considering putting a border around all the blocks, perhaps helping it to have a better flow, then I will put a border around the whole quilt, and have a quilted red gingham back - that is the plan. I could find another fabric and exchange it for the blue trucks, because it really stands out. The sunshine and kites in the upper left corner has such bright colors in it, I could easily put the stronger orange on that and put another color on the dark blue trucks. Maybe the chequered blocks need to be rearranged - Oh! My, this is what happens to me and then I don't get many things done because I keep finding alternate ways, and then get stumped! Sigh....


Dear friends, if you could give me your honest opinions, and suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for your help in advance!
God bless you, Dear Friends!!!

Chrissie

2 comments:

Leah Spencer said...

Well... first off I would put the three blocks on the right at the bottom. You have a "wide" rectangle, and by moving them to the bottom, it'll become a "long" rectangle. If that makes any sense. It makes sense to me cuz the body is longer than wider. ;)

Of course, doing that is going to mess up your 9-patch arrangement and then you'll have to start over again. I wasn't that helpful, was I?!

Just put a really wide border (like 6"?) around the whole quilt and it should make it a decent kid size nap quilt. If the blocks are 12", then the quilt should finish at 48x60". Or something like that. Big enough for an adult couch quilt even.

Oh, and for the pictures, I like the last one the best. I think you could "safely" move the right row to the bottom and not have to fuss with the 9-patches again.

You could always post both arrangements and have another vote. ;)

Dawn said...

I'm afraid I can't help with the quilt questions! But I have put the recipe for the rolls I talked about last week - you mentioned wanting the recipe. I hope you can try them and enjoy them. Let me know!