Sunday, March 9, 2008

I Can't Believe a Whole Year Has Passed!

Yes, dear friends, I passed up my one year anniversary on this blog. March 7th, 2007 was my very first post - and I missed it! Ha! I had some things in mind to celebrate this momentous occasion, with drama and fanfare, but I've been a little busy to stop and really put something like that together. However, I was inspired by some of our creative bloggers like Bethany and others, so I thought I'd do something a little different.
Today, it happens to be my dog Patches' 6th birthday, so as a tribute to Patches and pets, and to the special occasion of this blog's recurrence, I thought I'd ask all my friends to pop on in and give a 'Hello', and tell me your pet's name, from the past or in the present. There have been a couple folks that have delurked and said hello, but here's a chance, dear lurking friends, to break the ice, and let me know you're there, I'm delighted to get to know you! I love to discourse about pets of all kinds, so this is going to be fun! Thanks for stopping by, and making my day bright!

A Tribute to Patches:




Patches was the first pup to be born. Sparky decided to go into labor during the last part of the day, so by the time she delivered, it was well into the early morning hours. I was there, dozing on an off, and at four in the morning, I could see that a large pup was coming backwards, so I gave a pull, and noted that he was not breathing. Thankfully, the night before, I had read up on welping and the problems that could occur, and step by step instructions were listed as to what to do in such an occasion - so I took this little spotted baby outside, and swung him in my cupped hands a couple times to get his little heart going, and to clear out his lungs, and by rubbing him and swinging him, I was able to get him to breath. My hubby decided, this was the one for us - he's our miracle baby.



Sparky was so overwelmed with six pups, that she wasn't too pleased to see them. But after that first night, she showed herself to be the best of mamas. I pumped so much calcium and vitamins in her, and let her eat all she wanted. Even so, the pups took so much out of her, it took her over a year to look the shiny girl that she used to be. After this, I decided - no more pups. It's wonderful, but just too much....


I don't know why, but it took me a while to figure out a name for this fella, until I looked at a list of names on a Jack Russell Terrier site. 'Spot' or 'Speck' just wasn't going to do it for us. I looked down and saw 'Patches', and realized it was a perfect fit.

This is Little Jay with Patches.


He helped name a couple of the babies that day I took this picture. One was Springlet, and the other was Ruffie - the name stuck. He's happily enjoying life on my parents acres....

Here is Jay with Ruffie...



....they grow up so fast....



It took me a twenty pictures to get this shot, LOL!!!



Patches with the last pup, Bullseye...


Finally the day came to say goodbye to the last pup. That was such a sad day for me, so I took the first of many Sparky and Patch pictures...with a few tears....



God bless you and yours this lovely Sunday, dear friends!
Chrissie
'I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.'
Ecclesiastes 3:14

5 comments:

Leah Spencer said...

At least you have a little bit of Sparky to "go on". I heartily wished we had kept one of Missy's pups - Caleb. Everybody was for it, except Mom. Even Dad took a liking to him.

Then when Missy's daughter had puppies, I wished I had the courage to take Ginger - they were offering her with a $500 discount to me!

Since Missy died, I just haven't had the heart for another dog.

I do remember how Bullseye almost died when something fell on him. Glad he made it. :)

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Chrissie,
"CONGRATULATION'S" on your 1st year of blogging. I do hope you will have many more years of blogging as well. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" to your precious Patches. I loved your tribute to Patches and your other pups. They are all just adorable. We don't have any pets. The girls are always wanting one, but they need to be a little older and be able to take on the responsibility of having a dog. Our youngest daughter is just terrified of all animals. I was the same way when I was a little girl so I guess she gets it from me. LOL. I do remember when I was a little girl we had a dog and his name was Dobie. I can't remember what kind it was, but he was a good dog. Back in the 80's, my Sister had an Alaksan Malamute. His name was Butkus. He was a very good watch dog and a big old baby at heart. Someone ended up poisoning him and that hurt my Sister and the rest of us as well. I really love the picture where it took you 20 times to get the picture. That is one priceless picture. "THANK YOU" for sharing your Patches and other pups with us. Dogs are almost like kids. You get so attached to them. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Dawn said...

Our kids were afraid of dogs, so we got a dashschund as a teeny tiny puppy (both DC and I had dachsies as kids) - Fritzie was such a joy to us for 14 years, when he died the day after Kev's birthday, in his own little bed in the basement. He's buried in our yard. After that, we took both kids' cats when they couldn't have them in their apartments - Kev's was named Judas (because he wasn't loyal) - and he certainly became loyal to DC. He misses Judas badly. The other one was Joey. They were fun to have around, but I don't miss having pets right now. The cats ruined our furniture! And so many friends and family members were allergic - didn't know it until we had them.

Really cute pictures!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your encouragement!! Today, I was moved to tears as I read what you shared on my blog. Thank you!

My first dog was Lady, a cocker spaniel.

Best, and who- hoo! To one year!

Sugarplum Cottage said...

Congrats on 1 year of bloggin' I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. How wonderful all the puppies are. We have a Shiz-tu and are trying to decide if we want her to have puppies. I'm afraid I would want to keep all of them. RoseMarie