Monday, November 26, 2007

Didn't I Just Put These Away???

Where has the time gone? It was just a few months ago I put these things away, and now, here they are. I even remember what I was thinking about when I tucked all the Christmas things in their little beds. Here I am, ready to put it all up again - WOW!!

I want to do something I've never thought I could do before.... namely - a tutorial! It came to me today as I was wrestling with Christmas tree lights - friends - I would like to show you how I decorate my tree! It will be pretty goofy, I'm sure, but it always has been such a sweet enjoyment these 20 years to decorate my Christmas trees, that I think it would be fun to show you how I do it. This is not necessarily for anyone to follow, but if you find what I have to say helpful - well! Yeah! We've hit paydirt!!! I'll give step by step instructions as each day comes along.

Today: PUTTING ON THE LIGHTS

Now, of all the things that pertain to Christmas trees, this is the most difficult for me. This is the only part I dread. I even thought of passing over this portion, so as to get to the fun stuff, but I have found, that in life, nearly all Fun Stuff and Hard Stuff come hand in hand. So, here goes....

First of all you pick a tree. Now, that sounds easy enough, just find the prettiest one out there and take it home, after buying it, of course. Well, that may be true, and that probably was the way we did it on Saturday, but I realize now, that I should have been a little more choosy - you know, is the trunk straight? when they cut a few inches off, will you have to remove branches? if so, with that make a difference in the finished appearence? Is the top of the tree straight for the star ornament? Is there enough space between branches for ornaments to hang? Is it relativly even on all sides? Are there "holes"? - you know, that kind of 'choosy'. But, you know, sometimes Hubbys have a little difficult time with 'choosy', so you just make the best of it, and move on - which I did. When Hubs stood the tree up - it looked great. But when it came home, we realized that the whole trunk is crooked, so that no matter which way you turn the tree, it looks crooked. Well, friends - that's ok. I took a sigh and began a plan that would ofset the crooked tree - and you'll see it as this tutorial progresses.

It's always nice to have Hubby on hand to help put the tree in the stand and get things started.

When we were newlyweds, we tried to do the tree with loving togetherness, but we found that our ideas and tastes differed, so we compromised. He helps pick it out and set it up. Leaves me alone as I put the lights on (it's a very boring thing to observe, and anyway, why would you subject yourself to someone fussing and moaning and grunting and - well, you get the gist)

But when I put the decorations on, well, he generally is there with me, curled on the couch, with his cup of cocoa, and some Chrismas music, the dogs warmly curled up against him watching me trim the tree. It has become a very cozy, homey tradition for us.







Now, the tree is up. We shifted and turned the tree several times, before we settled on, well, a semi agreeable position. It's still crooked, but I'm going to use my decorations to ofset it, and it will be fine. As you may have noticed, I have been slowly coming to the point of lights. Yes, the word 'Christmas light' puts shivers down my spine. I could put paragraphs of information about lights, and I've thought of them, and I may put addendums on my next posts, but then again - well, let's get on with it.

First of all, I keep my lights from years past. I have lights that are at least 10 years old. But I have decided that it's time to kick them out and move on to the new. After all, the old ones look very dull next to the new ones, and the paint is coming off, and they are becoming harder and harder to keep fixed, so, after years of repairing and replacing old lights, I am now in the camp of new to newish lights. Thank you.

Now, I made sure my lights are all working. I like lights that have pluggings at both ends, that way I can have a continuous line of lights. I let them sit for a time while I fiddle around. You know, I have found that when I come upon something difficult, or something I really don't want to do, I fiddle. I procrastinate. I took pictures for the next 6 blogs. I looked at all the ornaments. I looked for my lights fixit kit, and never found it. I petted and loved the dogs. I unplugged the line of lights that wern't working, and put another one on. I started a CD of Christmas music. Then, I looked at the job, took a deep breath, rolled up my sleeves and began.




Now, when I did lights in the past, I was fastidious. I didn't like the wires to be seen, so I would take great pains to make sure that no wires were poking too far above the branches and all the lights were clearly visible between branches. Crazy. That's just plain nuts. Today, after spending a couple hours fiddling, even contemplating going out and digging up my orange tree that needs moving, or hand kneading some dough, or climbing Mount Everest, I decided that I will not be a fuss budget, and began to stuff those lights into the boughs of that noble fir.
I didn't take pictures of this process, lest I get distracted from the job at hand. I like to start with the lights closest to the extention cord and main plug, have them lit as I work and connect the next ones, starting at the bottom back part of the tree and working around, putting my line of lights back to front, making the lights come out as far to the tips of the branches as I possibly can, so that the tree looks full when lit. Because I kicked out the old lights, this is how far I got. Bummer.



I had to go to Walmart and get some more. Another excuse to do some stalling. Well, friends, I found the lights, and, my! There's a lot of choices - all from China - but selections within that catagory. I found one package that said 400ct $11.88. I went around the corner and found 100ct $2.00. Well, my friends, I bought three 100ct and saved some bucks. Anyway, I didn't need the fourth. Of course, you know full well that I just didn't get those lights and run home and finish the job. No. I puttered around the store, looking for obscure things that had nothing to do with running home and finishing a job. Hubby's birthday was tonight, and I picked him up some new Pajamas (like Llama or is it drama? maybe Alabama - oh! I don't know!), got a card, got some piddly things, and went home in time to take a shower, and get dressed to take Paul out to dinner at Chevy's. I'm still so full, it's hard to type that word without my stomach having an 'uh' sensation. The food was very good, I might add.
Then we came home, and it took me an hour to get myself to those boxes of lights and put them on that tree. I tell you, I need someone around with a whip or something - just do it! (sigh)
So I did. The hard thing about new lights is that they remain kinked, and don't stretch out very well. So 24 feet, though it sounds like a lot - doesn't go quite as far as one would suppose. They need to be at least 5 years old before they are relaxed enough for you to take advantage of the length. Even though I thought I wouldn't be able to fit all the 300ct - it actually worked out fine with the tight fitting lights. I love a lot of lights, and my Hubs even more than I do. He loves a lot of blinkers. So, I've got some blinkers on there, and the picture below shows a blank spot because of them working, but I need more, and will have to make a trip to Walmart to get some to finish the job *sigh*
But, she's done. And the next step - the Fun Stuff - Decorations! Yeah!!!



Snowmen progress report:

Small accomplishments - but accomplishments nonetheless! :)



Till we meet again -
God bless you,

Chrissie

3 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Chrissie,
I just love your tutorial about putting the lights on the tree. I do agree, unpacking the lights and getting them untangles and putting them on the tree is a very difficult job. I'm glad my hubby does that part for me. I did untangle them the other night and he had the girls to hold them out in a straight line as he put them on the tree. I just sat back and supervised. LOL. Hey, I did the hardest part right? The untangling can be ummm well you know what I mean. LOL. I had went up to our Dollar General Store Thanksgiving night and bought 3 boxes of just plain multi-colored lights and then I got a box of chasing lights. After hubby got the chasing lights on, he decided he needed another strand to go around the top part of the tree. So, I go back and get another box. They are some expensive lights. It was like $10.00 for a 100 count box. But after he put this box on and then put the blue lights on, it turned out beautiful. We sat and watched it pretty much all weekend and kept saying how beautiful it was. We have an artificial tree. I wouldn't mind having a live tree, but it takes alot of work to keep them alive. This time of year I just don't have that time. Your snowmen are looking so adorable. I can't wait to see what they look like when they are finished. You are very crafty Chrissie. You did an excellent job on putting the Christmas lights on as well. It is beautiful. Well, you take care my friend and have a great Tuesday. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Chrissie,
I hope the tree decorating is coming along. I also hope your gourd decorating is coming along also. When you have time, stop by. I have something waiting there for you. You will have to scroll down to the second post to see them. Blogger was being bad to me this morning. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Dawn said...

Well, thanks for coming over today. I'm with you on the lights! And I decorate by myself, too. I was griping to my husband that I never get any help since the kids are gone, but then I realized, when he tried to help, that I prefer it that way after all!

The thing that bugs me most is that half the lights worked when I put them in the box the year before and now they don't. How do they die in the box???

We went through that setting up a real tree thing for the first 33 years. Last year I sprung for a really nice artificial tree that lets me hang, not lay, my ornaments. I miss the smell, but otherwise it's okay. I also have my "designer tree", and I showed pictures of both a couple of days ago.

I have been adding nativity sets each year, and am getting quite a collection. Someday I'll take a picture of each one.

Have a great day!