Monday, February 18, 2008

Up Against A Rock Wall (Bikin' It Part IV)

Well, after seeing those cute calves back to back, the road took us again down into hill country, and I was a snappin' away - noting all the while that all I saw was cows. Why wasn't there any field of vegetation or crops?



....only cows....



...and quiet pastures nestled in little nooks, until we came upon.....



..a rock wall....




...a whole lotta rocks---that may explain things pretty well....



This wall built by Chinese workers, way back in the olden days when things were done by hand...



...using rocks that are in that area - they didn't have to go far to get their material....




There's so many rocks, that periodically you'll see on the side of the road these small fenced up box-like areas that are filled with rocks. I'm guessing the rock vendors come and pick them up and take them out to sell....there' just so many rocks....




....that the rock wall builders decided to build one that goes for miles....


....and miles....

...and miles - all done by hand.....whoa!





Most of the wall was on the right side of the road, but then we came upon some more on the left...



It went on for a while.....



...until I turned and noticed we were at the end of the rock wall, so I took a shot of the marker...



...and - well - that's when my battery died. It was bound to happen, and this series would have gone on for another month or so. I thought of telling you about the rocky fields I passed and the sheep, the view of Shasta covered with clouds, and little houses tucked away between the oaks - very riviting stuff! But - I came to the end of my batteries, and we came to the end of our trip. My brother was thinking of taking us to another scenic route, but since I could no longer take pictures, we decided to head home - we were frozen to the bone!

So we came home and thawed off and had a wonderful rest of the weekend!

Goodbye, my Brother...



......and Thanks........



God bless you, dear friends, and may He direct all your paths!
Chrissie

'Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths.
Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.'
Psalm 25:4,5

2 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Evening Chrissie,
Oh my goodness, that is alot of rocks. It looks so beautiful. I love looking at fences like that. So unusual but still has style. It looks as if it's going up to a ranch of some kind. "THANK YOU" for sharing some more of your beautiful pictures with us. I hate that the battery quit on your camera. I was hoping to see more pictures of your Bike ride with your brother. I love how you put the words with the pictures especially at the end with your brother riding off there. Take care my friend and have a great evening. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Dawn said...

Sounds like a great time with your brother. What an amazing wall! That is an incredible amount of work - can't imagine it!